It was a sad weekend at our house. Our beloved guinea pig Pepper passed on. We didn't tell the boys until yesterday. We took them out to lunch at Red Robin and had a special treat of ice cream and then we broke the news. The reactions were very interesting. Grant (6yo), who probably held Pepper twice in his whole life because he just really wasn't that interested cried for an hour. We had to leave the restaurant and I sat in the car with him and just held him while he cried. He said, "He (Pepper was a girl) was my best buddy." We said that we were going to have a funeral and bury her and pray for her and he would always have special memories in his heart. He said, "Can we pray that God will bring Pepper back to life?" It took 15 minutes to convince him that Pepper could not come back to life.
Eli's (4yo) reaction was much different. Eli held Pepper any chance he got and he didn't even bat an eye. He said, "Can we go to the pet store and buy a new pet?" Although we considered it, we decided that we shouldn't. In the car, when Grant had calmed down Eli said, "When I was little I had a pet fish, and his name was fishy. He died and I was so sad. Then I got a pet butterfly and we danced and he didn't die." We never had a pet fish named fishy or a pet butterfly. This was just a story in his sweet mind.
Sawyer (2yo) was to young to even realize what we were talking about. Pepper was his first pet though. We have a dog and a cat too so we aren't going to be missing out on any animal affection.
This past weekend I also got a kidney stone from the antibiotic I was on and it was HORRIBLE! At one point I felt like I was in labor and I was yelling at my husband to please make the pain go away. I was very blessed that it only took one day to pass and it wasn't TWINS! :)
We are all doing better now.
Monday, October 8, 2007
RIP Pepper
at 7:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
You really have had a week. I'm so sorry about Pepper AND your kidney stones AND the kids being sick. Know that we are continuing to pray. Eli's story is so sweet...I think he's got the makings of an artist AND a writer
Mary
Hello! I believe I am your sister for the "cozy" swap. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I too LOVE Jane Austen and knitting, although I am still learning.
I am working on your package and I hope to have it sent out soon!
This will be lots of fun!
Many Blessings,
~@~Courtney~@~
Poor Pepper. And poor Grant! He sounds like my 6 year old... :)
I'm glad you're all recovered! I've never had a kidney stone, but I've heard... ouch.
Liberty. That was so funny I nearly cried. Only real life can be that funny. Sorry that there were not two sweet babies to comfort you from all that pain. But, you will probably sleep more soundly.
I just can't figure out who I relate to more, Grant, Eli or Sawyer.
God bless, Sunshine
Post a Comment