Saturday, June 28, 2008

A little trip

We made a little trip last week and we stayed the night in Amarillo, TX. We were heading out and had been driving for about 40 minutes when we saw a huge billboard that said, “Biggest Cross in the Western Hemisphere up ahead”. We could already see it in the distance. I was driving and Eric was asleep. I wasn’t planning on stopping; I just wanted to point it out to the boys. As we were driving by the cross I noticed three crosses on a hill with Jesus and the two thieves on them. That is when I knew we had to stop. So I took an exit and ended up going on these back roads to get back to it. Eric woke up wondering where the heck we were. :)

The big cross was 190 feet tall. Around the cross it had the Stations of the Cross (I guess that is a catholic thing), and it was incredible.


This is one of my favorite pictures. The first thing the boys did was run up the steps to go see Jesus.

My other favorite part was the abortion memorial. It was very powerful. This is where I shed the most tears.









We didn’t take the boys around the stations, but the one they noticed was the one below. We explained to them that this is how much Jesus loved us that He would go through this pain and sacrifice for us. We love Him because He first loved us. This had so much impact to them. They still talk about it.





Here are the Stations of the Cross that were around the big cross:












































As you went into the gift shop there was this beautiful fountain
Apparently, they want to build these all over the nation. What a great rest stop! Here is their website: http://www.crossministries.net/

So if you are ever around Groom, Texas this stop is worth it! It made our whole trip spectacular.







11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baw ah, kasagad sa imo maghimo blog. Nalingaw gd ko basa.

Anonymous said...

that doesn't happen everyday. wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

This topic have a tendency to become boring but with your creativeness its great.

Susy said...

Just beautiful....I am a homeschooling mom. I am LDS and live in Vegas Thank you for showing those beautiful pictures of the Savior.

Kay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kay said...

What beautiful pictures, and a great message! God Bless.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that the boys got to see this rest stop, Liberty. They will probably remember it their whole lives. You and Eric, too! I would love for one to be here in my hometown.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! I really enjoyed this post, Liberty! What a privilege to see!

Adrian said...

Those are amazing pictures! I have never seen anything like it. What a wonderful message they give.

Anonymous said...

Wow- that's really cool. They had one of those big crosses in a nearby town in Illinois- I had no idea that it might have the stations of the Cross at it. If I'd known, I might have checked it out sometime- that's really cool :)

mzzterry said...

This was really moving. Thanks for sharing it thru photos. I clicked over here from ElizabethEmbracingLife's blog! You have a nice blog with a good message! bless you <><