We visited a church for the second time since we have been here and WHOA! Last week we pretty much liked it but the pastor was not there last week. It was a guest speaker. I still had my reservations last week, but Eric really liked it. Everyone kept saying, "You have to come back next week and hear pastor. He is the best!"
Today we felt the Holy Spirit in this church until the pastor spoke. It was crazy! Eric and I both felt this weirdness like something was wrong. Then on top of that he was teaching on the whole book of Revelation in one lesson but he wasn't even teaching the scripture. We left early. We could not get out of there fast enough. We will be visiting other churches. Eric had never felt that weirdness so strongly before anywhere.
I am kind of glad that we are going to visit other churches. That was part of my reservation is that I didn't want to jump in and join the first church that we liked. We are very vulnerable right now spiritually because we are so hungry for fellowship and God's word.
The other weird thing is the worship leader writes worship songs and apparently they are published because they had CLI#(I think that is what it is called) at the bottom of the screen and they are some great songs, but EVERY single song we sang last week was by him and this week it was following suit, but then there was a different name, but it was the youth pastor. This church does not sing any songs outside of the ones they have written, in this past two weeks anyway. Is that weird or is it just me?
We try not to be critical of churches, but we do have high standards, especially when our children are involved. We DO NOT like churches that have video games for the children to entertain them while we are in the service. We believe that children's little spirit's are just as able to worship God as we are and can pray even better than we can pray. Children's ministry should be providing an atmosphere of worship, prayer and teaching for the children. If not, then they should be with us in the service. My boys LOVE to worship God and I want that to be nurtured in whatever church environment we are in to confirm what we are doing/teaching at home. Am I being unrealistic in my desires/expectations?
One of the things that the pastor said today is that our government is the beast. HUH? God set government in place. We believe that we need to make a difference in the government by raising godly children and being a light in this dark world. Not be in rebellion against our government. Like I said, it was a weird sermon. I am just glad that Eric and I are on the same page.
Please tell me if you think we are way out there because I kept asking Eric today, "Is it us?" We need to be held accountable if we are the ones in the wrong with our expectations, etc. Please share your opinions. I do value any input.
Sunday, April 13, 2008
church, children's ministry, etc.
at 7:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
That church does sound strange. The point of a sermon is to be taken from scripture. Therefore using actual scripture is important. That's also weird about not singing any other songs but the one's they write.
I agree with your take on children in church.
I pray y'all are able to find the church that God intends for you and your family. It is good to look around.
I'll have to look up that book you suggested. From what you said it about it, it sounds great!
The room that we plan on being the nursery is already a blue-gray color. I really like it. Although I have considered it a nice shade of green(one of my favorite colors) or a soft yellow. Those colors will go with the baby bedding that I like. Which I may change my mind once I know what we are having. :)
Yes I do love that shade of green. I'd consider painting my walls that color. :)
I think that God brings us to a place of worship to grow us for his Kingdom. When we feel unsettled it's easy to question our own hearts as we do feel very critical. Most important is you and Eric are on the same page and your standards are yours to embrace, not any one else's. Blessings as you search for a new church.
p.s. David and I felt something was not right for years, but stayed as we felt it might just be us, only discover there was a lot of things wrong behind the scenes. Follow your heart and instincts.
I really agree with your take on children's ministry! If you have no peace in your spirit then I would move on........:)
In regards to your comment: Scroll to the bottom of my blog and you will find a link to the lady who designed the template! She only has a few but what she does have are very nice.
Post a Comment