I joined Curves yesterday and today was my first workout. They have come a long way. I joined about 7 years ago and it was not the same. It is way better now. I especially like that it is just for women so it is not weird to work out there. I know I am going to be sore tomorrow because I am already feeling it.
My College Algebra class is kicking my butt. I just need a C and then I can move on. I will be a junior after this. Phew.
We are going to California in a couple of weeks. It will be nice to see friends and to visit our old church. I am debating whether we should go to Sea World or not. We have never been. Is it worth the money?
We are leading the Tiger Den in our Cub Scouts pack and I was talking to one of the new moms and I told her that in the first meeting they encouraged us to have the boys pay a portion of their dues and/or uniform so that it means more to them. She then went into this monologue saying something like this..."I wouldn't have my boys work for money. If they are going to do work they are doing it for free to serve out of the goodness of their heart. I don't think that people should go around asking to mow people's lawns for money. If they see that someone's lawn needs to be mowed then they should just do it to serve them...."
I on the otherhand, believe in encouraging children to entreprenual minded. I always respect a person that comes and offers their services to mow or do whatever work. We are planning on teaching our boys to think of a little business that they can offer in the neighborhood when they are older. She says that she is just old fashioned, but in the olden days people mowed lawns for money too (this woman is younger than me). Now don't get me wrong, I do think that it is okay for us to mow a lawn for free just to do something nice for someone, but I don't believe that there is anything wrong with having a little job mowing lawns.
So here is the poll question:
Is it wrong to offer (labor)services for payment instead of just doing it out of the kindness your heart?
Friday, September 19, 2008
Exercise and a little poll
at 12:13 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
I don't see why it has to be one or the other--can't they have their own business and sometimes do things just for service? Does this translate to adults--should they not have paying jobs, because they should just do it out of the goodness of their hearts, not expecting pay? If parenting is about teaching our kids to be functioning adults, I think this is one good way to do that.
Sea World was one of our best vacations ever. We went to the one in San Antonio, got season passes (they were the same price as a one day ticket for the kids, and only slightly higher for adults) and went every day for a few hours. I highly recommend it.
I have two answers. :) 1) To ask to do work for someone in the community and ask for pay doesn't seem like a big deal. I had a buddy who mowed lawns all through high school and that boy made excellent money! 2) Growing up my Mother never rewarded me with money for house work. Like the dishes were my responsibility. But since I'm so much older than my siblings I ended up earning my car by babysitting for my Mom. So I figure house chores are one of those things everyone helps, because everyone makes, but it's good to give them the idea of earning money too.
I have never paid my children for work around the house. We all work for the common goal of taking pride in what we have been blessed with even if it's a toilet to clean.
However I do think it's okay to teach our children to earn extra money for things they may want, that is out of the normal blessings from mom and dad.
It'$ a balance. I have a friend who'$ kid believe$ he $hould get money for every act of kindne$$ and I just flat out $ay no. There iS no heart of Service, juSt a heart of entitlement, which iS what we really want to be careful of. JuSt my two centS...wait the price went up, I'll take a dollar for thiS $ound wi$dom
I think kids should have chores around the house and do not need to get paid for them. Doing chores is part of living as a family. But I don't see anything wrong with having a little lawn mowing business to earn a little pocket money. And if they feel so inclined to do it for free sometimes, then good for them : )
By the way, I always got C's in Algebra : )
It’s great to have kids who are willing to go work period! Whether, it’s for free or out of the kindness of there heart. I think there’re a few different answers. But your kids should be made aware of your concerns. Performing acts of kindness and charging for acts of kindness. This is what I mean. I believe we all need to remember who we’re here to serve. Everything we do on this earth is not to glorify ourselves, but to glorify our King.
If they charge for there labor they should understand that it’s the Lord who provides the job in the first place. Understanding this, your children might try and find a way to perform an act of kindness with a portion of their earnings they receive. This will glorify the Lord. They may want to tithe some, or help a good cause, maybe in fund raising for someone in need. This answers a higher calling than just making money to serve one self. It brings solace to our souls and glory to his name knowing that we’re helping others.
If they do this, they can simply say to a potential customer that they’re trying to help raise money to support a community cause help for example, buy shoes for the homeless children in the community. And a portion of all the money they receive over X number of dollars will be donated for that cause. By asking for a suggest donation people (customers) are free to give what the Lord puts on there heart, and they answer a high calling. This creates a win, win for everyone the customer is happy they got their grass mowed, your kids are happy they made money, someone in need will be ministered to, you mom, feel so proud of your boys, and God is happy because he has been glorified through it all. Wow! Praise God.
If you go this route I would suggest that you allow your kids to choice the charity, or cause. That way they take ownership. The important lesson is that we’re all here to help each other out. There are plenty of good Christian business men that the Lord blesses, and they don’t work for free. They work to serve the Lord in all that they do. It’s a higher calling then just mowing a lawns.
Blessings…
Post a Comment