I am in the process of picking yarn for my yarn shop that is opening in April. Some yarn reps say that I need an inventory of $30,000 if I am going to make it. Ha ha. I am going to have an inventory of $2500. It is a small store, but I live in a small town and it is going to be perfect. I have been blessed with next to nothing rent so everything I make I can put back into the store and increase my yarn supply.
Eric is working on my website and I am hoping it will be ready by the time the store is working.
Only yarnies will probably understand what I am about to write. I am so overwhelmed by choices. Do people buy more worsted, sports, chunky or DK? That is where I am running into a problem. Should I even carry 100% acrylic since there is a Walmart down the road and a Hobby Lobby 20 miles away?
The two companies I am definitely going with are Brown Sheep and Alpaca with a twist, and I am thinking about getting some Paton's because they have 100% Organic Cotton.
I also need to figure out how many needles of each size to order. I know what sizes I use, but not everyone else.
Any advice that anyone has would be great. Also, if you crochet, what kind of yarn do crocheters prefer? This is exciting, but so overwhelming at the same time.
I need to relax and go knit.
Thursday, February 4, 2010
yarn
at 7:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
I'm happy for you! I hope you get what you need!! :)
Do not, I repeat, do not compete with the guys down the street. Do not follow their trends.
You, in your own way have a niche, a style and YOU become the trend setter for yourself.
Work less and make more. Carrying better quality yarns will provide less snafoo's for those who are beginning and those who have done this for a long time.
You want to set yourself apart and build your customer's confidence with your buying choices, color selections and quality.
I was told when I started my furniture store I needed $200,000.00. I started it with only $18,000.00 and many skeptical eyes. Boy did I sure surprise everyone..why? Because in my field God gave me a gift, as He has given you.
You are going to do well, because you are doing what you love.
I think that worsted would be the most popular yarn weight (though of course you'd want some of the each of the others as well). Size 4, 5, and 7 needles seems to be a the most used sizes.
I don't crochet, so no help there, sorry.
Liberty, I'm so excited for you about your new yarn shop. I wish you the very best with it and I hope it becomes a big success.
This is my new blog!
Hello Liberty. There is an opportunity you may be interested in. Could you please get back to me at affiliate@dayspring.com for full details? Sincerely, Nick on behalf of DaySpring Cards
Liberty, I love the pictures, and I think Flower is an adorable name--LOVE it!
Post a Comment