I was asked for some recommendations for parenting books so here they are.
Since I didn’t have any parenting knowledge or long-term examples of parenting I have read A LOT of Christian parenting books.
My #1 book out of all of them is “Train Up Your Child” by Chuck Sturgeon. This is hands down the best book. It has so many scripture references and not your every day run of the mill parenting scriptures. It has the jewels that you have to mine for. Plus it has them all listed in an index in the back of the book. The only place you can buy this book is used on Amazon that I know of. Some people might have a problem with it because of the praying in tongue references, but if you can get past that (if you have a problem with it) then you will have one of the best parenting resources besides the bible.
My #2 pick is “Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years” by Jim & Charles Fay. This was huge for us when Grant was 2 years old. They do have a book for older kids, but this was more age appropriate for us.
#3 “Keeping Our Children’s Hearts” by Steven and Terri Maxwell and “Homeschooling With a Meek and Quiet Spirit” by Teri Maxwell. These are both phenomenal books. I ordered mine from their website www.titus2.com Even though the second one has homeschooling in the title, don’t be fooled. It is a great book for mothering in the Spirit. It is very convicting about our attitudes and reactions to situations. I am very thankful for these books in my life.
#4 “Creative Correction” by Lisa Whelchel. This is a great resource to have on hand. She does have some creative ideas for reality consequences and it has a topical index.
#5 “The Five Love Languages of Children” by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell. This is such a good book. It really helps to know your child’s love language. If you have never read any of the five love languages books then I recommend getting “The Five Love Languages”. It will change your marriage and a lot of your close relationships.
The last, but definitely not least, recommendation I have is the Clarksons. Their website is www.wholeheart.org. I have read all of their books. She is who I quoted yesterday from her blog. They just have so much wisdom. Here is a list of their books:
*Seasons of a Mother’s Heart
*The Mission of Motherhood
*Ministry of Motherhood
*Heartfelt Discipline
*Educating the Wholehearted Child
*The Mom Walk
*Our 24 Family Ways: Family Devotional (and coloring book)—We are using this in our family right now and it is great!
Okay, one more resource that we have used so much over the past few years. www.doorposts.net
For Instruction in Righteousness—this is an AWESOME topical reference guide for Bible-based child-training. It gives practical ideas for discipline and encouragement, all based on specific Bible verses. We use this A LOT.
Hidden Treasures—My boys LOVE this. Each page illustrates a verse in a chapter in Proverbs and you read aloud the chapter and as the kids are coloring the page they are trying to figure out which verse the picture represents. It really makes them listen without “making” them listen! J
The If-Then Chart has been well used in our family. It lets the kids know the consequence before the incident occurs. It helped us a lot.
I was fortunate enough to actually meet the family that runs this business when we lived in Oregon and you really see the fruit of the Lord in their family.





0 comments:
Post a Comment