Sunday, July 20, 2008

Amazing

Last week an old friend told me that I needed more grace in my life and less law and she is right. I prayed all week and asked God HOW do I get that? There was no answer, but apparently I just needed to wait on Him. Today at church the sermon was about exactly that. It was amazing. He talked about how our generation (ages 18-35) has a spirit of rejection and it is a product of broken homes and people not truly knowing what a father is supposed to be like.

He compared it to the scripture John 2:13-16 where they were turning the temple into a marketplace. He talked about how angry He was that people were trying to make the people have more "transactions" to be forgiven for their sins which is why people felt like it was never enough. Jesus is the only transaction we need.

He had two girls sitting at two different tables working on puzzles. One girl represented someone who couldn't get it right; it was taking so long and she just wanted to give up. The other one represented someone who "looked" like she had it all together; she got her puzzle finished and it "looked" great. He talked about how we can't try to organize our own spiritual fruit because it will never work. That is just outward appearance. God wants our heart. He said that only God can produce the fruit. We need to focus on having intimacy with Him and God will take care of the rest.

This doesn't mean committing to wake up and spend 15 minutes in the bible every morning. This means committing to spend time with God. Truly speaking/praying to God. It is an ongoing conversation in our hearts and minds with God. That is truly praying without ceasing.

I am the type of person who beats myself up for not spending an appointed time in God's word. I make it a legalistic thing. Even though I try to talk to God throughout the day I am so busy beating myself up for whatever I didn't do that it takes away from my intimacy with God.

After the sermon they played this song. It broke me. I just started crying and I couldn't stop. God is trying to break me out of this legalism. I am letting him. I told Eric that it is so hard to receive this and he said, "It is kind of like when we have a garage sale, if we put a price on it people will buy it, but if we put a free sign on it nobody will take it." I had to laugh because that is exactly what happens at our garage sales.

I put the player on my blog so you can hear the song. Here are the lyrics.

Majesty (Here I Am)

Here I am humbled by your Majesty
Covered by your grace so free
Here I am, knowing I'm a sinful man
Covered by the blood of the Lamb

Now I've found the greatest love of all is mine
Since you laid down your life
The greatest sacrifice

Majesty, Majesty
Your grace has found me just as I am
Empty handed, but alive in your hands
Majesty, Majesty
Forever I am changed by your love
In the presence of your Majesty

Here I am humbled by the love that you give
Forgiven so that I can forgive
Here I stand, knowing that I'm your desire
Sanctified by glory and fire

Now I've found the greatest love of all is mine
Since you laid down your life
The greatest sacrifice

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liberty, great post! I really enjoyed that and can't come up with the words to explain how I feel. I berate myself as well when I can't actually "sit down" with my Bible and devotionals. Reading this really gave me a sense of relief! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Some of what you said sounds like it was taken from the pages of my journal. Isn't freedom to be intimate with Him simply wonderful? Every layer of legalism He takes away is like seeing His face a little less fuzzily, hearing His voice a bit more clearly. I'm so happy for you, Liberty! Praying for you, too!

Kay said...

This is a beautiful post. I suppose I was raised in this way, to speak to God. My mother doesn't really believe in going to church, because she says she'd rather "talk" to God on her own. While I still go to church, I also practice "talking" to God. I use to sit on my back steps and talk to him almost every night when I was in High School, and I could honestly hear him answer.

God Bless

elizabeth embracing life said...

Oh the freedom in knowing that we God is here for us always. We can go to him without formalities, legalities, or even a list and agenda. God should never be penciled in for a time slot. He's got his calendar wide open. Blessings as you grasp the newness of His divine love and care for you.

Mindy said...

This was a very touching post and a wonderful reminder. I really enjyed your blog and plan to be a regular reader.