I am really praying right now about whether to have a home birth or not. There are no birthing centers open anymore where we live. When it is time to go to the hospital it is going to take anywhere from 30-45 minutes to get to the labor and delivery room (this includes the time waiting for friends to get here to take care of the boys). I have fairly easy births and once I hit 8cm I am ready to push. With my past labors once my water breaks the baby is there within 45 minutes. That scares me. When we lived in California where the other 3 were born this was a non-issue. All of my friends lived 5 minutes or less away and the hospital was 3 minutes away. I feel comfortable having a home birth, but Eric is so worried that something will go wrong. I want him to feel at peace about whatever we do, but I want to be at peace as well. The more I think about the hospital the more stressed I get. What stinks is there is a women's hospital 2 minutes from my house, but our insurance is out of network so they won't take me. That would relieve me if I could just go there. I don't know what to do. I haven't really heard any horror stories of home births, just the good so it doesn't worry me too much. :(
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
I will keep this in my prayers, Liberty.
You know that we had Melina at home, and we are planning to have this one at home as well. Jeff was not a believer in home births before our Bradley class and then having Melina, but he is most certainly now.
One movie I highly recommend that came out last year, directed by Ricki Lake, is "The Business of Being Born." I know it is available via Netflix. Watching that movie helped convince my friend's husband regarding the safety of home births. Think Eric might watch it?
Is there a home midwife you can consult just to talk over your options with?
Hope births are truly the best. I encourage you to do it. It is so peaceful being in your own home. When you're sick, where do you want to be? In your own bed! With the help of God I have been able to have several home births and have had the privlege to help in other home births. Very sweet. I hope your husbands heart will be softened to having that experience.
The movie suggested in the previous post is a great one to watch. Rikki Lake also just came out with a book about the subject. I havent read it yet but it may be worth checking out.
I also wanted to mention that if at any point in your pregnancy you are considered at-risk, your midwife will let you know. And with a hospital close by, your midwife could go with you if any complications should arise.
But really, you're not sick-- you're pregnant! Most people have zero problems in labor and delivery. Praying that you find the perfect midwife for your needs.
Post a Comment