I have been reading alot the past couple of weeks. Here is an excerpt that I read this morning that I just LOVED! It is from the book "Standing On The Promises" by Douglas Wilson.
"As we bring up our children, we should descend to their level in one sense (humility) in order to lead them to our level (maturity). This is not the same as descending to their level (immaturity) in order to lead them to our level (pride). We must be servants to our children; we must not cater to them. One of the central problems with bringing up children in our day is the constant temptation to underestimate their capacities. We teach them profane and irreverent little ditties, not psalms and hymns. We give them moralistic little stories, not biblical doctrine and ethics. We expect them to act as though they have no brains or souls until they have graduated from college. We aim at nothing, and we hit it every time."
I just finished this book. It really encouraged me as a wife, a mother, and a homemaker.
I am about to start a chore chart/system based on this excellent book:
Friday, September 28, 2007
Rich words
at 10:45 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
I've read that book by Douglas Wilson too. I also liked the book Fruit of her Hands by his wife.
HI, thanks for stopping by :)
How fun to meet new homeschooling moms! How encouraging....I also LOVE to read, thanks for the suggestion of this book....I have one for you, have you read Seasons of a Mother's Heart, by Sally Clarkson, GREAT, so great!!!
God bless and keep up the good work, as unto the LORD!!
Lizy
Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope you enjoy the soy bacon as much as we did. The kids couldn't believe their eyes when they walked in for breakfast and saw bacon on their plates! *giggles*
I love to read and will have to look into reading the books you have shared with us. They sound like something I would enjoy reading. We share some of the same parenting views as you and your husband. It is refreshing to meet others of like mind and faith.
Have a wonderful weekend. I do enjoy your blog. I will be bookmarking it to come back int he future.
((Hugs))
I have really enjoyed going through your posts. We do Konos as well. I love the unit study approach. We also do the three Rs, but I agree, it is about having fun. I love the book Raising Modern Day Knights. It really pricked my heart several years ago. Good for you for applying it with your boys!
You seem like a great mom who takes her job of mothering with great love and seriousness. That is so great to read about. We have church at a bank community room right now. There is only a handful of us currently. It is in Hillsboro.
Thank you for stopping by my blog, I'm always happy to see a new face ;)
Let me know how the chore thing goes, I need to start something similar for my kids so I'm always looking for great ideas ;)
I've added you to my blogroll and will be back again to visit soon :)
Post a Comment