Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The best book ever

I am reading the most amazing book ever. It is for parents of children of all ages. It is called "No Ordinary Child: Unlocking the leader within your child". I wish I had enough money to buy it for everyone I know. Here is a link to the author's website: http://www.denisemira.com/books.html This is the synopsis from her website:

Here’s the help you’ve been waiting for, if you are...

* Hungering to see God’s very best for your child?
* Looking for a way through a maze of parenting manuals?
* Swimming in a sea of expectations of friends, family, and school?
* Considering the myriad of moral matters confronting your family?
* Trying to manage the demands of the weekly grind?
* Longing for change?

Here’s hope! As a mom who’s there in the trenches right beside you, Denise Mira writes with refreshing honesty about our call as parents to raise children who will be the world-changers God intends them to be. Be unmoored from mediocrity and let fresh faith be ignited! Find the keys you’ve been looking for to unlock the leader residing in your child.


Here is one of the first quotes from her book:

"God is preparing His heroes; and when the opportunity comes, He can fit them into their places in a moment, and the world will wonder where they came from."
--A.B. Simpson

I believe that my boys are some of those heroes. Eric and I have felt a calling on their lives since they were born. I am excited to continue reading this book. The very first verse she uses is at the front of the book and it is Hebrews 11:23 which says,

"By faith Moses' parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king's edict."

This is so powerful! I do believe that God is raising up a Moses generation like this author is talking about. We cannot be afraid and we need to walk in faith!

I am at a part in the book that she is talking about childcare/day care and she says something that is very convicting. I don't even have my kids in childcare and I was convicted because it is just so true. She says,

"Most Americans wouldn't trust even a close friend with their checkbook or pin numbers, but we'll trust our children to just about anyone."

When I first started writing this I did not intend to talk about politics at all, but with Obama's education reform he talks about making childcare cheaper to make it easier for parents to go to work. That is the LAST thing that we need. We need more parents at home being a part of their children's lives, NOT letting them be cared for by people who don't even love them. Why is our bank account more important than our own children? We know more about our current financial situation then we do about our own children. We need to change our priorities. I know alot of conservative christians are voting for 3rd party candidates or not at all, but doesn't anyone realize that that is just putting Obama into office? How can that be a good thing? What kind of stand is that? Okay, I will step down from my political soap box now because I could go on and on. Vote McCain.

Moving on....another quote from the book:

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." --Harold B. Lee

I believe that. If other parents don't start believing that as well our nation is going to crumble because we are raising lazy, selfish, spoiled children. They are going to be the leaders in our country someday and how far is that going to get us. I say they are going to be leaders, but who knows if they will truly even step up to the plate?

I am going to go read more of this book right now. :)

1 comments:

Kay said...

This sounds like a very interesting read, something I'll have to save for when I have kids!