Thursday, January 8, 2009

Baby names

We are down to two names for girls:

Adah McKenzie Dictson
Lorelei Ruth Dictson

Adah is the only "A" name we can agree on. In Hebrew it means "beautiful; ornament". In African it means "first daughter" so that is fitting.

Lorelei means "Alluring one" and I know that it sounds sensual, but the spiritual connotation can be "Alluring for the Lord" drawing people to Christ.

Even though we both wanted and "A" name, I am leaning towards Lorelei Ruth because it has both of grandmother's names in it. My grandmother's name is Laura and Eric's grandmother is Georgia Ruth. If we were to have a nickname for her it would be Laurel.

So what do you think? Adah or Lorelei?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Lorelei/Laurel better- it's cute and more feminine than Adah, imho.

Melanie said...

Lorelei is beauttiful...and I have an Aunt named Adah..and she is the most fun..full of life..ambitious, wonderful person...so I like that name as well! LOL I am not much help! :)

Kay said...

I like the meaning of Adah better but both are cute :)

Anonymous said...

Loralei is a beautiful name. The meaning of Adah is beautiful as well.A baby is a reward from God no matter the name. Congratulations.

Raina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Either one would be lovely . . . and I imagine that seeing your beautiful baby may help you to decide, too. But other than those points, I think I actually lean toward Lorelei. It struck me as unusual at first, but it has a pleasant ring. Exotic, but firm.

Praying for you all! Much love!

Anonymous said...

I think both are beautiful names. If I HAD to pick, I think I would pick Adah.