Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I remember

I grew up in a Christian girls home. I mentioned in a previous post that I am a motherless mother. My mother left when I was 3 months old. So this motherhood thing is all new to me.

I got a phone call from one of the girls I used to live with at the girls home. She has been married for 5 years and they just had their first baby. She sounded on the verge of tears. She said, "I went to the women's bible study this morning and all of the women were so put together. I feel like I must be lazy and I don't know what is wrong with me."

I remembered all of the same feelings I had had over the past few years and I tried to encourage her. She is a motherless mother as well, and I know the fear, pain and insecurities that come along with mothering when you are in that situation. This is what I have learned that I wish I could remind her of every day.

*Those mothers in the bible study probably just showered that same day. They miss showers and brushing their teeth just like you. It goes with the territory.

*We all feel the pressure to clean our house when the baby is sleeping, but you need to relax and enjoy the peace. The house will always be there. Learn to let things go. They are not important.

*You are taking care of that baby above and beyond what your mother did for you.

*You are a good mom.

Now I just need to remind myself of these things everyday. I think the hardest thing about being a motherless mother of a mother that chose to leave (instead of death) is holding your firstborn in your arms and loving them with all that you have and imagining walking away from them forever. I can't. I don't think my mother ever loved me because how could she have walked away. My mother got out of prison about a year ago and she knows how to get ahold of me and she hasn't. I don't know why, but I feel rejected all over again. I KNOW that it is probably better if she is not in my life, but it still hurts.

Wow...I was inspired to write this to be encouraging and instead I am dealing with my own issues.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel completely unqualified to leave a comment on this post and won't even try to tell you I know how you feel. My mom was always there and still is. However, I can totally relate to the feelings of new motherhood. Even though my mom was there, she wasn't perfect. And I never expected to be so uncertain of myself after my first child was born. Your advice to your friend was right on!

Blessed Among Women said...

Wow, I'm sorry about your mother. *hugs* I need to remind myself of some of the things you posted,especially relaxing while Daniel sleeps. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I live 900+ miles from my mother, thanks to hubby's career. So I can call and talk, but it is still hard when you're going it on your own. I didn't start out with a baby, but with a four year old (that we're adopting) and I sooo understand how it feels to be the frumpy one! We'll all get through it - for me, blogs like yours are a real blessing. Hearing about your, and your friend, let me know I'm not out here alone with this new mom thing. Hang in there, sisters - you're not alone!

Anonymous said...

what a great challenge for you; and I know you are equal to the task. : )

My mother was able to break a very long generational cycle of 'bad mothering'. She was the first, and me and my sisters are reaping the benefits. She died when I was in my mid 20s but she will always be loved, honored and blessed because of what the Lord enabled her to do. what an exciting legacy you also will be able to leave.

Jaime said...

Have you seen The Mother Letter project?

http://motherletter.blogspot.com/

It might help both you and your friend.

Blessings as you both find your way....

Kay said...

I wish I had words that felt more than pithy sayings. I can't imagine my life without my Mama. However I have lived a life with my father mostly out of the picture, so I do kind of understand the feeling of abandonment. I just admire you for giving advice to your friend, and to remember that God is it with all of us. You can't pick your parents but you can be better than they were/are.

God Bless

Anonymous said...

Good for you and your "sister" from the girls home for supporting each other. To her I would say look for a group of moms of young kids- at MOPS or the playground or wherever. Be a supportive friend and learn from each other. My mother was "there," but there is much she did that I have chosen to reject. For instance, the perfectly maintained, yet unwelcoming, home. The very severe discipline. I have read a lot and I have thought things over and talked with friends and fellow moms. You might feel at sea but you know, I did too. You have to learn by doing and sharing! Just look for support where you can find it. Your church family is a good place to start. Love and hugs! Annette

Laurie said...

But you are dealing. And that will get you so much farther than sweeping them under the rug as if they aren't there.

I had/have a mother. And I still show up to women's study without having had a shower in a couple days. ;) I know I can't possibly relate to the very real void that you feel - but I'd venture a guess that you could still teach me a thing or two about mothering.

Michele said...

Wow. Amazing post.